rich in history + purpose
Founded in 1907, the purpose of the Colonnade Club is,
“to foster social, cultural, and intellectual interchange among its members and to promote the welfare of the University and its faculty.”
In fulfilling this mission, the Club utilizes and serves as steward for Pavilion VII, the oldest building in Jefferson’s Academic Building and a facility graciously provided to the Club for use by the University.
Today, the Club has grown to over 1,000 members and provides a wide variety of opportunities to socialize, network, and create meaningful fellowship and community at U.Va.
In 2017, along with a diverse and rich array of the University community, the Club commemorated the laying of the cornerstone of the University at Pavilion VII as a part of the wider Bicentennial celebrations. The original cornerstone was laid on October 6, 1817, by President James Monroe during a Masonic ceremony that ex-presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Madison attended. Once the smallest pavilion on The Lawn, it is now the largest, having had two additions built on it—one begun in 1855 and another in 1913.
In commemoration of the Colonnade Club’s 100th Anniversary in 2007, the University’s Board of Visitors put forth a resolution honoring the Club for its service to the University community.
A two-and-a-half year restoration of the Pavilion was completed in 2001, giving Club members an expanded and beautiful space in which to enjoy events or simply relax during the day.
The University is the only higher education institution included on the UNESCO World Heritage List, a roster of properties of international cultural significance. As the oldest building in the Academical Village, Pavilion VII commands special recognition, and the Colonnade Club is proud to have this building as its home.